Tuesday, December 3, 2013

INPUT OUTPUT ARCHITECTURE (PART III)

This is the last part for this chapter.Hope can help you understands more about input output...check it out


8. INPUT OUTPUT CHANNELS AND PROCESSOR

1. Processor directly controls peripheral device
2. Addition of a controller or I/O module – programmed I/O
3. Same as 2 – interrupts added
4. I/O module direct access to memory using DMA
5. I/O module enhanced to become processor like – I/O channel
6. I/O module has local memory of its own – computer like – I/O processor
• More and more the I/O function is performed without processor involvement.
• The processor is increasingly relieved of I/O related tasks – improved performance


Characteristics of Input Output Channels

• Extension of the DMA concept
• Ability to execute I/O instructions – special-purpose processor on I/O channel –
complete control over I/O operations
• Processor does not execute I/O instructions itself – processor initiates I/O
transfer by instructing the I/O channel to execute a program in memory
• Program specifies
        - Device or devices
        - Area or areas of memory
        - Priority
        - Error condition actions

Type of Input Output Channels

• Selector channel
        - Controls multiple high-speed devices
        - Dedicated to the transfer of data with one of the devices
        - Each device handled by a controller, or I/O module
        - I/O channel controls these I/O controllers
• Multiplexor channel
        - Can handle multiple devices at the same time
        - Byte multiplexor – used for low-speed devices
        - Block multiplexor – interleaves blocks of data from several devices.


nadhiah amira nordin
<B031310415>

No comments:

Post a Comment